Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

YOHJI YAMAMOTO EXHIBITION




Last saturday I was back in London and I decided to go to Victoria and Albert Museum, the world's greatest museum of art and Design. At the museum where several exhibits and one of them was Yohji Yamamoto. I had never been to an exhibition of this ground breaking designer, so I was very curious.

Yamamoto became internationally renowned in the early eighties for challenging traditional notions of fashion by designing garments that seemed oversized and unfinished, that played with ideas of gender or with fabrics not normally used in fashion. Yamamoto also had an unusual pattern cutting, knowledge of fashion history and sense of humour. 






The exhibition shows over 60 creations (women's and menswear) and a multi-media timeline that reveals Yamamoto's wider creative output.









I really liked the exhibition because you had te change to see the garments up close, they really took enough space between te garments so you could walk around it. I really zoomed in to the details of his garments and I was impressed by his use of textile and silhouettes. 








I recommed this exhibition to anyone who has not seen it yet. The exhibition will last untill 10th of July, so there is still time to see the work of Yohji Yamamoto..







“An artist is somebody who creates things 
..that you don’t need to have”

-Qoute by Yohji Yamamoto








No comments:

Post a Comment