Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

CY TWOMBLY: TODAY WE HAVE LOST A GREAT ARTIST..

I just heard that Cy Twombley(83)has died today in Rome. He was suffering from cancer. He was one of my favourite artist who really inspired me to be. My first post on my blog was about Cy Twombley, how his series of paintings "Lepanto" made me cry. In 2009 I went to Vienna's Museum of Modern Art where 200 of his drawings, paintings, sculptures, collages and photographs in an exhibition entitled "Sensation of the Moment" was showcased.




 "LEPANTO"2001  -Images made by Joyce Sitaram

















Cy Twombley was known for his abstract works combining painting and drawing techniques, repetitive lines and the use of words and graffiti. You could see in his work that he had knowledge of the Greek and Roman antiquity, and its mythology, which for him was a source of bottemless inspiration. Particularly in his sculptures, the reference to the Ancient Greece was visible. All of his sculptures were painted in white, that refers to marble.





"When I work, I work very fast, but preparing to work can take any length of time."
-qoute by Cy Twombly







No comments:

Post a Comment